Desktop program icon changes without authority
I have just installed a new version of a program. As usual, the desktop shortcut name excluded the version detail because the name text was too long. And as usual I edited the name (shortcut properties/general tab, the 1st item) - shortened it by deleting
the 1st word - so that the text of program name and version were shown in the shortcut text below the icon. This method has worked on many occasions with a number of software items whose shortcuts are on the desktop.
But this time, when I 'applied' the shortcut icon displayed on the desktop was changed to the windows general icon. Selecting it to execute the program works fine. the issue is the icon is now incorrect. And I have been unable to change it back to the
correct one which was displayed before the name edit occurred. I have tried the following:
- creating a new shortcut from the program folder. However, the windows general icon is also displayed in explorer alongside the program exe file, so this method does not work: more specifically, it simply copies the circumstance I am trying to correct..
- changing the icon (shortcut properties/shortcut tab) - quite a different tab from the name change and not one commanded (hence the 'without authority' part of the topic name), and its not even one that's displayed in the change icon list. The correct
program icon is displayed in the change list: but selecting and applying it does not remove the general icon on the desktop shortcut.
- changing the icon but choosing a suitable alternative icon from the change list - applying works on the desktop shortcut. However, it does not change the situation where the windows general icon is listed in explorer as the program icon. Repeating this
process and choosing the correct icon and applying simply puts the windows general icon back on the desktop shortcut.
So, for the moment, I am living with the less than optimum alternative desktop icon.
The questions from this are:
1. what causes windows to substitute the general icon for a program specific item on both the desktop and in the explorer program folder?
2. How can the correct program icon (the visually correct .ico file is listed in the program folder) be restored to both the shortcut and the explorer program folder exe file listing?
Anwsers to the Problem Desktop program icon changes without authority
This issue will occur if the icon cache is corrupted.
Let’s try these methods and check if it helps in fixing the issue.
Method 1: Run the following Microsoft Fixit and check.
Fix broken desktop shortcuts and common system maintenance tasks
Method 2: Follow the methods provided in the following article and check if it helps.
Please update us the results.
We will be glad to assist you.
Make Sure that your Hardware Meets the System Requirements
Microsoft Windows Requirements :
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
You need to double-check your computer's hardware configuration against the following Microsoft requirements. If your PC hardware is not up to par, then make sure you upgrade where necessary before continuing.
Another Safe way to Fix the Problem: Desktop program icon changes without authority:
How to Fix Desktop program icon changes without authority with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download Error Fixer . Install it on your computer. Open it, and it will scan your computer. The errors will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.
3. The Repair part is done, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been fixed. You can also use other functions in this software. Like dll downloading, windows updating and print spooler error repair.
Related: How to Update & Download NVidia GeForce 6100/nForce 420 WHQL Certified driver v.178.13,How to Update & Download NVidia GeForce 7600 GS Video Driver v.295.75 Certified,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce 820M Driver v.344.48 WHQL,[Solved] Download NVidia GeForce GTX 560M VGA Driver v.296.17 Certified,Way to Update & Herunterladen NVidia GeForce GT 130M Video Treiber v.295.75 Certified,How to Update & Download SONY SVE14A1X1RH Realtek Ethernet Driver,Where to Download SONY SVS13A2W9ES Bluetooth Driver (Intel) v.2.6 - 188.8.131.52059,Best Way to Update & Download SONY VGN-CR203E Conexant HDAUDIO SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP Setup Program v.184.108.40.206 driver,Best Way to Download SONY VGN-FE790G/N Wireless LAN Driver v.10.6.0.29,Method to Update & Download SONY VGN-NR31Z/S Firmware Extension Parser Device v.220.127.116.11,How to Fix Error 0x0000c1f5 Solución?,Error 0x80071a91 Win7 Fix Patch,Error 0x800ccc60 Windows Live Mail [Solved],Error Message 0x800ccc79 Outlook 2000 Fix,What is Error 0xc1ab0001?,[Answered] x64 saplugin dll,How to Fix Problem - Kb943729 Download?,Troubleshooting: Bccode D1 Error,Java Runtime Tech Support,Troubleshooting: ERROR NO SUCH GROUP Error
Read More: Solution to Error: Debug a service!,Troubleshooter of Error: delete conformation dialog box coming when desktop icon open,Desktop and Store tiles disappeared and 'change pc setting' isnt working,Solution to Error: Dell Optiplex GX620 complete drivers for Win 7,How to Fix - deleting speedy pc pro?